Samara is located in Guanacaste Province on the northern Pacific coast. It is about two hours from Liberia International Airport (LIR). Our retreats include transfers. Contact us to make other arrangements. The drive from the airport is along paved roads, making it an easy destination to reach.
What to Bring.
You will need much less than you think. It is either hot and dry or hot and muggy. However, during rainy season we get an occasional chill in the mornings so a shawl or light sweater works fine. We are very casual. It is rare to see people dressed up. Men walk around in just their swim shorts so much, we have a joke that if you see a man with a shirt on, he is either going to a wedding or a funeral. 🙂
- Tennis shoes or comfortable shoes for hiking (we have a trail on the property)
- Flip Flops or none at all, we go bare foot as much as we can.
- Umbrella: It rains off and on beginning in June until Novemberish
- Earplugs: If you want to sleep in past sunrise be advised that we often have a family of monkeys on the property and they howl at the sunrise like little Shamans should.
- Sleeping mask: Sunrise is at 5:30 am and it is bright so if you want to sleep in or for meditation, a sleep mask is handy.
- Compact rain poncho: very helpful to have one at all times if it is rainy season and is easier to carry than a bulky umbrella.
- Headlamp: It can be very dark on the beach and if the electricity goes out due to rainy season storms you will want a light to see.
- Yoga or work out clothes. (We have a washing machine you may use)
- Swimsuit & Cover up: Many people find that other than a pair of shorts and a sundress, this is really all you need.
- Sunscreen: Even on cloudy days the rays are strong.
- Blow dryer: if you have long or thick hair this is a humid place, you should consider bringing a compact blow dryer, if wet hair is a bother.
- Non toxic bug spray: We have stingless medicinal bees on the property and we really love all nature, so we encourage you to use non-toxic sprays to keep our insects safe.
- Travel Documents, passports, etc. Check to make sure your passport is up to date.
- Your adventurous side. 🙂
Terms and Conditions.
- We adhere to a strict payment and cancellation policy. All deposits are non-refundable. The remaining balance (total price minus deposit) is due 30 days prior to arrival. The remaining balance is non-refundable once paid.
- Your Travel Arrangements – Retreats include transfers from Liberia. All other travel arrangements, flights, extra nights, etc., are your responsibility and at your own cost. We shall not be held liable for any consequences arising from delays or cancellations in any of the companies you may have made arrangements with, or for any irregularities in your documentation required for travel.
- Travel Insurance – (a) Travel insurance is highly recommended. If you choose to buy insurance we require that your travel insurance covers the activity of this retreat as well as unexpected cancellation, sickness, losses and all the usual risks. You should bring the policy with you in case of an emergency.
- Your Health – (a) It is your responsibility to let us know if you have any injuries and to be mindful at all times of your own body’s capability during the retreat. If you experience any injury or discomfort during any activity during the retreat, then you must desist immediately. (b) It is also your responsibility to consult a doctor if for any reason you have concerns about physical activity whilst on the retreat. (c) Please advise us of any mental or physical health conditions and dietary requirements before you book.
- Cancellation by you – (a) If you need to cancel for any reason and we can find a person to take your spot, we will refund the amount paid minus the $500 non-refundable deposit and a $250 administration fee. If we cannot find a person to fill your spot, there are no refunds; however, you can transfer your paid spot to someone else, so you can send a friend or family member to the retreat in your place. (b) Bookings are for the stated period of the retreat. There are no refunds for an unused portion of the retreat. If the reason for cancellation is covered under the terms of your Insurance Policy, you may be able to make a claim on your insurance.
- Cancellation by us – We reserve the right in any circumstances to cancel a retreat. In particular our retreats require a minimum number of at least 75% of the participants to have booked by 30 days before the start date. If this minimum number is not reached by that date we may cancel and refund the money to you.
- Our liability to you – (a) We accept responsibility for ensuring that the retreats are supplied as described and that the services we are contractually obliged to provide are to a reasonable standard. (b) We do not accept any liability for cancellations, delays or changes caused by war, threat of war, terrorist actions or threats, closure of airports, civil strife, industrial action, natural disaster, technical problems to transport, staff cancellations, unforeseen changes in your personal circumstances or other events beyond our control. (c) We are not liable for any injuries you may incur. We are not liable for any medical or psychiatric conditions, which may develop during or subsequent to the retreat. We are not liable for loss of, or damage to, your personal property.
- No Liability for possessions – (a) Your room will not be left empty and unlocked at any time, and you will be given your own personal key to your room. It is your responsibility to ensure that your possessions are kept safe at all times. This includes hire cars or other hired equipment.